Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bubba and Norris Lake

I've met a couple of Bubba's in my life. All of them memorable characters and always the nicest human beings. I'm not sure how one gets the nickname Bubba but I am fairly certain it requires being über awesome and filled with a history of stories and a natural charisma that draws good people to you. I also think it has something to do with fishing, but nothing to do with Forrest Gump.

Meet Bubba from Norris Dam Marina. I promise you won't forget him if you ever meet him. He's full of charm and sweet energy. I can't sing his praises enough.
Uncle Bob, his wife Bev and I decided to head down to their marina after our squash blossoms. The outdoor tables at the restaurant were filled with a bachelorette party of twenty or so women, some random couples, groups of drunken friends, and Bubba was holding down the fort next to another table.

Uncle Bob greeted Bubba as they are familiar friends from the marina. Bubba lives on a houseboat about five slips away from Uncle Bob's boat. Bubba promptly asked Bob if I was his granddaughter, to which Bob replied, "Yes." Bev chimed in and then Bob explained our relationship. Bob was my daddy's best friend for 50 years. He's family to me even without the bloodline. The table next to him was open. Prime seating if you ask me. Great view, near the speakers blasting music and next to Bubba.

Bob introduced me to Bubba as Amanda. The conversation quickly changed from Bubba flattering me with compliments to a conversation about Waylon and Willie and wild times. If you need last names for those men then you need to read a different blog. Bubba promptly beckoned the marina owner's son to put on some Waylon, where I was promised a serenade when the song featuring my name came on. Bob and Bubba shared stories of Waylon and Willie and Kris. All of whom were friends of their's and my father's at some point. It was wonderful. Bubba came thru on his serenade and I enjoyed it. It was truly a pleasure to be in his company this evening.
When Bubba retired to his boathouse, Bob explained that not too long ago Bubba had all kinds of medical ailments and was brought back from the dead. I never would have know the physical hardships he's recently faced but I am so thankful for the time I was able to spend with him. He was a fishing guide on the lake but no longer fishes.
Bubba is awesome. So full of life, charm, positivity, wisdom and I absolutely can't wait to go back and have another beer with Bubba.

No comments:

Post a Comment