Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bananas Foster Cupcake Sunday

Today is a special day! It's Sunday Funday and also my friend Kanee's Birthday along with my Brother-In-Law. It doesn't take an excuse for me to bake, but in their honor I made some cupcakes! I'm a fan of many food blogs an came across one with a Banana Chocolate Swirl Cupcake recipe. I liked the concept but I love my Bananas Foster Cupcakes. I decided to borrow the idea of chocolate and use mini chocolate chips instead of melted chocolate and top them with a slice of banana. My traditional recipe was dreamed up for my friends wedding last June and had a Mascarpone Rum Frosting. With the addition of chocolate chips, I don't miss the frosting.

Bananas Foster Cupcakes with Chocolate Chips

Yields 30 Cupcakes

For the Banana Mixture:

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2-3 ripe but still firm quartered (halved crosswise, then lengthwise)
2 tablespoons dark rum

For the Cupcakes:

2 1/2 cups AP Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon rum or rum extract
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

For the top:

1-2 bananas, sliced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 Tablespoons or more mini chocolate chips


Directions:

For the Bananas:

In a large saute pan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Cook until butter melts and sugar is dissolved (4 to 5 minutes).
Add the banana slices and cook until tender and nicely caramelized
Turn off the burner and add the rum mixture to the pan.
Flambe!
Spoon the banana heaven into a bowl and set aside.

For the Cupcakes:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add eggs one at a time then, add vanilla, rum and banana mixture. Mix well. Bananas will blend into mixture.
Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream; blend thoroughly but do not over mix. Fold in Chocolate chips.
Portion into lined cupcake tins.
Sprinkle the sliced bananas with lemon juice to prevent discoloring. Sprinkle the top of the cupcakes with the additional chocolate chips and top with a banana slice.
Bake until done or a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment