Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Comfort Food: College Coconut Chicken Curry

There are days when I want a home cooked meal that's full of flavor but minus the fuss of making everything from scratch. Back in college, Gracie and I often made Chicken Curry with coconut milk and an assortment of vegetables. It was easy to make but we let it simmer for a couple of hours. We made copious amounts at a time and would eat it for a week.

While I love that old recipe, I wanted something quicker and using the few things that I have on hand. I was at Target today and found a simmer sauce by Archer Farms. I'm becoming a fan of their products. I decided to try it and it was almost better than what Gracie and I used to make. So here is the easy recipe using a pre-made simmer sauce that is sure to delight and comfort on a day like today.

College Coconut Chicken Curry:
Serves 4

1 chicken breast and 2 thighs, cut into bite size pieces (or 2 chicken breasts, or 4 thighs depending on what kind of meat you like)
1/2 onion rough chopped
Handful of baby carrots, chopped
1 T oil
Salt & Pepper TT
1 jar Archer Farms Coconut Curry Simmer Sauce
3 T water
3/4 cup Rice of your choice, cooked according to package instructions

In a medium sauce pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Add the Coconut Curry Simmer Sauce. Then add 3 T of water to the jar, replace the lid, and shake it. Pour the contents into the chicken mixture. I find the sauce straight from the jar, a bit thick so the water thins it nicely.
Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper TT.
In another pot, prepare the rice according to package instructions.

Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment