Friday, December 2, 2011

Many Reasons I Heart East Tennessee

Today, like many days, proved itself interesting, and full of stuff and things. My Aunt is here which always is pleasant. Things are easy and fun and she is wonderful and full of light and inspiration. I woke up to my first official frost after the disappointment of Siri/My weather App telling me it was going to snow on Tuesday. I had mentally and physically prepared by purchasing wine before her arrival so I wouldn't have to drive in the snow. Fail! No snow....just rain but we went to the movies and saw My Week With Marilyn, which was fantastic. Insert uneventful Wednesday, and that brings us to today. Three good meals in and my Aunt Toots now knows I am a good cook.

We ran some errands and of course ran into some of my favorite Tennessee regulars. Faye, asked about Thanksgiving and was sweet as pie, as usual. I want to clone her. She told me how she split her time among her husband's family and her's and didn't have to cook and she was so proud that I did. Win! Then there's the other regulars who feed it to me straight and make me feel like the luckiest girl in the world for being here and loving Tennessee like they do.

Later we stopped by this place in Clinton, TN (next to my bank) that was founded in 1930. It's part Drug Store, part Soda Shop, part Restaurant and filled with the nicest people in America. I found a shiny little gift that I told the gentleman that was helping me, that I would buy if they put a bow on it. He said, "You don't want me to tie it, but I'm sure I'll find someone here who will." Bless his heart! He gave us a Pharmacist who was delighted to help. She started pulling ribbons and said only the wire double sided would do, and the proceeded to make a bow like I had never seen.

Having been half joking when I asked for a bow, I didn't expect Martha herself to show up and show me up. I stopped her and politely asked how she was doing what she did and advised her she should teach classes. With more than a smile she proudly said, "I was a Brownie Scout!. When I was young, a woman from Hallmark came and taught us to make bows." I could have fallen over at this point. I was a Daisy, Brownie and Jr. Girl Scout and never did some woman from Hallmark show up to teach me how to make a bow. All those years and now I'm however old and learning bows in a family owned Drug Store in TimbucTennessee! She continued with, "It doesn't matter how fancy the gift, as long as it is wrapped pretty or has a fancy bow on it." Words of wisdom that ring so true. She then said how she had the greatest job in the world because some days she can sell a fishin' license and other days she gets to make bows. Now I want to be a pharmacist/fishing license selling/bow maker as my career of choice.

So, today I learned how to make pretty bows. I learned that Mom & Pop Shop's are still awesome and serve things from a soda fountain late at night. I learned smiles come from things like frost covering your yard in the early morning. When you think you can't handle the cold, walk outside and watch the sun come up. My yard looked liked it was sprinkled with all colors of glitter with the frost and sunshine mixing. If you haven't seen it you need too! Joy comes from within the spirit of the holiday you choose to celebrate. I am making my December care packages soon and can't wait for my friends to enjoy some wonderful holiday treats from my happy Tennessee kitchen.

xoxo
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment